Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Buffy The Vampire Slayer as a college course?!

I heard this story on the news this morning as I was driving in to work. Apparently, some professor wants to do a course based on the popular TV series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer." Why? "Because it poses eternal questions about the battle of good and evil"-or some such dreck.

Really? This is what we've come to? Of the thousands of classics out there that discuss the battle of good and evil, I could probably name dozens before I got to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now, I have to admit that I've never watched the show, nor did I see the movie that was the basis for the show. For all I know, it could have redeeming qualities, but I doubt it. Aside from starring Sarah Michelle Geller, who's been typecast into doing horror films, why watch the show? I wonder if it is even worth taking a full college course on.

4 comments:

Anna said...

0_0 That is wrong on so many levels...whatever happened to the REAL classics?! It's like people are finding random, popular fiction books and sticking a label on 'em titled "classic." It's crazy! Ugh...<_<

leo509 said...

You got that right.

Popularity does not a classic make.

Queen Elizabeth the Third said...

Maybe you should watch the show before you go off on it...that goes for all of you.

leo509 said...

elizabeth, thanks for sharing.

Your suggestiong might have some merit if Buffy the Vampire Slayer was actually worth watching.