Wednesday, April 15, 2009

questions and answers Gen 3:10-13

God asked, "where are you?" And Adam answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." Gen 3:10

What kind of answer is this? Adam says that he heard, that he was afraid because he was naked and that he hid. None of this answers the direct question, "where are you?" What shall we answer when asked, "where are you?" Answer as our father Abraham answered. "Hineni" (here I am). Here, at this spot, at this moment. This is where I am. This is what I am doing. This is what I am thinking, feeling, saying. This place in my life is where I am. And be honest. I am weak. I am doubtful. I am hopeful. I am joyful. I am watching a movie. I am talking with friends. I am out shopping. I am at school. I am at work. I am discouraged. I am upset. Whatever it is, say so. When asked where you are, say where you are. Perhaps you are not full of the joy of the Lord. Perhaps you have had a close friend or relative die suddenly. Perhaps you are worried about work or school or sports or music or dance or dating or the suffering of millions around the world due to starvation and disease and oppression and injustice. Adam does none of this. He dissembles.

And God is not pleased.

"Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" Gen 3:11 More questions.

Adam said he was naked. How did he know? There's only one way he could have known. And that was from eating from the tree that God commanded him not to eat from. Again, God knows the answers to these questions. Why ask them? To get Adam to confess his sin. To have Adam acknowledge his guilt and repent. Does Adam confess? Does he repent?

The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Gen 3:12

On the contrary. Adam puts the blame on God and Eve.... The woman you put here with me. This is your fault, God. If you hadn't given me this woman, I'd never have eaten from that tree!
And she gave me the fruit. What was I supposed to do? Have you ever been married? Do you know what it's like to have to listen to your wife saying eat this, eat that, why don't you like what I make for you? Oy. This woman, she just talks all the time. She's constantly telling me to do this or that or the other thing. How could I know the fruit was from the forbidden tree? She said eat this fruit, so I did. She said she talked to a serpent! A serpent! Can you imagine that? Serpents don't talk! You and I know that. But, what could I do? She gets so upset if I don't believe her. She thinks I don't trust her or something.

You know what, last night I woke up to her tickling my side. I'm like, "what are you doing, woman?"

She's like, "are you sure you're not seeing anyone else?"

"Anyone else? Who else is there? Why are you touching my sides?"

And she says, "I'm counting your ribs."

So yeah, I ate the fruit. Just to shut her up. But You, You put her here with me. You knew what she was going to be like. You could have made her differently.

God turns His attention from Adam and his ridiculous protestations to Eve.

Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." Gen 3:13

A direct question. What have you done? It requires a direct answer. I ate from the tree. Eve does answer a little better than Adam. At least she acknowledges what she did. And she knows it was wrong too, by using the word "deceived." The obvious implication is that if she wasn't deceived, she wouldn't have eaten from the tree. But, she too casts blame elsewhere. She blames the serpent saying that it deceived her.

How hard a thing it is to admit wrongdoing. To admit where we are when asked, especially if we're in the midst of sin or have just commited a sin. How hard and embarassing that is. And why? Because we want to hide from our sins. We want to cover them up, not expose them and risk His wrath and terrible judgment. We'd rather justify ourselves or cast blame elsewhere. Especially if we know the punishment for transgressing will be a harsh punishment. Who wants to suffer a harsh penalty even if we know we deserve it?

Lord, give us the courage and strength to answer honestly, hineni (here I am) and let Your mercy and compassion prevail over Your justice so that we are not swept away in Your righteous anger.

Glory to God, amen.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Ha! and ha! Funny interpretation :P Anyway, good stuff, as usual.

leo509 said...

Heh. Glad you liked it. Thanks for your comment. :)

Zach said...

I'm still trying to figure out the whole "why nakedness became a thing of shame"... perhaps it was because they were no longer holy...like, by eating the fruit, their eyes were opened to good and evil, and they saw that by eating the fruit, they had sinned, and were no longer perfect. When God first created them, they were sinless, perfect. There was no need for clothes, because there was nothing to hide. Their bodies were perfect and sinless, and so were they. But then, when they sinned by eating the fruit, they were no longer holy, and realized that their bodies were also no longer holy, and they were filled with shame because of that, and tried to cover up their bodies...I dunno, just a rough thought...


Ah yes, the blame shifting game...


Amen.

leo509 said...

Hey Zach,

Man, that's great stuff! Thou hast expounded well. :D

Zach said...

Well, thank you :)