Friday, February 13, 2009

In loving Memory

May 22, 1944 - February 12, 2009.

And my mother in law's life was sixty years and four years. These were the years of her life. What can I say to express the deep loss I feel? I shall remember the good times we had. The joy, the laughter, the love, the knowledge of Scripture, the passion for teaching, and for me, not least of all, the food. Oh, what wonderful food she always had in her kitchen. No matter who stopped by and when she was ready to offer whatever food she could. And such good food she made! And I will remember one of the last things she did for me was to give me a bowl of split pea soup last night when the wife and I stopped by on a spur of the moment. And she hurriedly finished her dinner to make something for us.

At this time we (her family and I) grieve. Deeply. And yet the Scripture says, "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the Righteous Judge." Righteous?! How? Lord, You took her to Yourself before any of us were ready for her to be taken. You decided it was ok to call her home. Why? Why now? Why when she was feeling well? When she was in good spirits? When her health was good? With so many things left to say and do. You had to take her at this time? Really? This is righteous? This is just? No and a thousand times no. It is unfair. It's not right. And yet Scripture says that "the Lord is perfect and all His ways are just." All His ways. I am having a really hard time reconciling this right now.

For all too brief a time we were given Your daughter. I prefer to remember has the light and the flower-from the Greek and Hebrew names for her. What light? The light of God's Word shining in her life. Not only did she know the Scriptures better than most people I've met, she lived them. Her love for God and His Word and her family was evident in her life. And her favorite flower was Lilly of the Valley. But now the light has darkened, the flower has fallen. Where has it gone? Gone to be with the Lord. Gone from us.

But also gone to a place where is there no more weeping and no more sorrow. No more bitter tears and no more heartache. But especially, no more blood sugar tests. No more diabetes. No more health issues. No more aching muscles. Gone to where it is all joy and goodness and light. Gone to her Lord and Savior, her Creator and God, her Light and her Salvation. Gone on that journey we all must take one day where we will all meet again. And I am thankful for the short time I did get to know her. For the infinite kindnesses she showed me. For the many many meals. For the wonderful gifts on Christmas and birthdays and from places she would vacation to. For Bible studies. For her generosity. For accepting me into her family with loving arms. For her prayers. For inviting me on family vacations.

I thank God that I did get to know this wonderful woman. And I miss her terribly.

Let the glory of God be exalted above all hymns and blessings and adorations that we can utter. May He who creates peace in the high heavens let peace descend on us, on all Israel, and all the world.May the Source of peace send peace to all who mourn and comfort to all who are bereaved, among us and wherever they may be, and let us say, Amen.

No comments: