Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Carolinas Trip, part 3

(Those wondering how many of these posts I'm going to make about our trip will just have to wait and see. :) )

Friday, in the morning, we went to an Abbot Farms store near Cowpens. We wanted to get peach cider and boiled peanuts. Peach cider is a truly tasty treat. Get ya some, if ya can. It's worth the trip down (or up) from wherever you are. Boiled peanuts are peanuts, in the shell, that are boiled in salt water. Three ingredients and addicting as all get out. You can't eat just one. My mother in law had asked that we bring some back. So we ended up getting a half-gallon's worth. I wasn't sure that would be enough. I thought we'd eat through that much before we made it back home. Good to know that we didn't :)

And walking around in the store you will see all manner of peach products on display: peach cider, peach salsa, peach cobbler, peach preserves. And there's pickled vegetables of different kinds and the wife picked up a jar of pickled beets. I hain't tried em yet. Speaking of food... I forgot to mention that when we were at Fatz Cafe the day before, the wife and I tried fried green tomatos for the first time. Another traditional southern dish. And those were very yummy as well.

Ok... so we came back, hung out for a bit, had lunch and then it was time to get ready for Seder ("order"-the service with meal on Passover). Now, seder is traditionally held on the first and/or second night of Passover. But Passover didn't start till sundown on Saturday, when we would be in North Carolina. Since me bro wanted to have seder with us and mom, we had an early seder. Not only was it early (by a day) but it was also early by several hours, since the wife and I had to drive up to North Carolina that night to see our friend.

Seder went well (mostly). My niece and nephew did not follow along with the seder very well at all. My nephew more so. He wanted to run around and be noisy. My niece was pretty content to sit in her chair and sample the matza and charoset. I don't know if she had any gefilta fish or horseradish. I suspect not. My nephew got put in timeout for misbehaving and from the hallway, we could hear him yell, "I'm angry! I'm very angry!" It was hard not to lol out loud.
Dinner was salmon, mashed potatos and green beans. A well cooked, well prepared meal by me bro and sis in law.

We said grace after the meal (I think we did) opened the door for Elijah, had the last two (of four) cups of wine and did the closing prayers. And then the wife and I had to get up and go.
We figured it would take about five hours to get from my bro's to our friend's house. We wanted to leave by 7 so we could get to her by midnight, about the time she'd be coming back from the show.

I dunno what it is about night travel, but we got off the highway and were about 2 minutes from our friend's residence by 11:00. Four hours? Really? Yep. Not bad, not too bad at all. Well, since we were early, we decided to go to Denny's and wait for her there.

And we meet up around 12:30 and finally get to her home by around 1:00. Good night.

To be continued...

No comments: